Thursday, March 06, 2008

5 things to never say to a woman

Warning: Some of these absolute no-no words and phrases seem so incredibly harmless, you may think we're kidding. We're not.


FORBIDDEN PHRASES

1. "Relax."


Say this instead: "I'm just as upset about this as you are. Let's deal with it together." This way she knows you're totally sympathetic. This should help her to ... oh, God ... relax.


2. "I love you." (During a fight)

Say this instead:
1. "[Insert detailed explanation of what you did and why you did it.]"
2. "It won't happen again."
3. "I love you." (It's okay at the end of the apology, just not at the beginning.)



3. "It's up to you."

Say this instead: "I could definitely do A or B, but I'm not crazy about C. What are you thinking?" This shows you're listening, suggests you care, and gets you out of deciding.



4. "You knew I was this way..."

Say this instead: "It frustrates me, too—and I'm working on it." It's a lie. That's okay.



5. "[Nothing]"

Say this instead: Throw the ball back. Throw it badly. Even risk throwing a wild pitch and letting her take an extra base. But keep your head in the game.


MAGIC WORDS



1."Just tell me everything."



2."You are just so beautiful." (The trick: You must say it as if it's just occurring to you at the moment, as if her pulchritude were a rainbow suddenly in your path, the stunningness of which has left you incapacitated, emotionally stunted, but in a good way. )



3."Sorry. It was my fault."




Use them sparingly.

No comments: